For over 17 years, Chad Shifrin has focused his practice on complex construction disputes and litigated in courts across the country and in arbitration. Chad has extensive experience counseling owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, and designers on resolving construction project disputes.
He has counseled his clients on nearly every type of construction project, including high-rise commercial and residential buildings, hotels, stadiums, arenas, industrial processing facilities, railways, wind farms, hydroelectric facilities, bridges, and underground specialty piping, among various other construction projects.
Chad also regularly counsels clients in non-litigation matters, assisting in contract negotiation through project completion.
Awards and Honors
- Recognized as a Leading Lawyer in Construction law (2020 – present)
- Named an Emerging Lawyer in Construction Law by Leading Lawyers (2015 – 2019)
- Chicago Building Congress Member
- Merit Awards Committee Member
- Future Leaders Committee Member
- American Bar Association
- Case Note Editor, American Bar Association’s Construction Litigation Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Won arbitration awarding our subcontractor client over $10M in loss of productivity and other damages resulting from changed conditions on a 41-story hotel project. After a 3-week arbitration hearing, including testimony from fourteen fact and eight expert witnesses, the three-member Arbitration Panel unanimously ruled in our client’s favor, denied the general contractor’s multi-million-dollar counterclaim for delay and other damages in its entirety, and found our client to be the prevailing party. Our client collected the judgment amount in its entirety.
- Lead counsel for a specialty subcontractor in over $40 million claim filed in Superior Court in San Francisco, California where a University’s underground utility distribution system servicing numerous college campus buildings was replaced in its entirety after less than one year of operation. After extensive fact and expert witness depositions and prevailing on a case-altering pre-trial motion, our client entered into a successful settlement agreement shortly before trial.
- Defended multi-million-dollar delay claim involving the $4 billion construction of the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge to replace the Tappan Zee Bridge just north of New York City for a specialty steel contractor. Our client entered into a successful settlement agreement.
- Represented design-build steel subcontractor in multi-million-dollar claims involving the design and construction of the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, GA. The matter resulted in a successful settlement of all claims.
- Won arbitration representing a general contractor in its multi-million dollar claim against the design-builder involving the contract’s compensation structure and defending alleged delay and inefficiency claims for construction of a prototype wind tower and turbine. The arbitrator awarded our client all of its requested damages and its attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Won summary judgment on all counts of dueling breach of contract claims on a lease dispute for a build-to-suit project in Illinois. A developer sued our client, a corporate tenant, for over $6 million alleging that our client improperly terminated the project days before construction was to commence. Our client’s claim exceeded $2 million for reimbursement of its incurred project costs. In granting summary judgment for our client on all claims, the trial court ruled that our client did not breach the contract, the developer did, and that our client was entitled to all of its incurred costs. The matter settled shortly after the summary judgment ruling.
- Represented the New Jersey Devils in multi-million-dollar litigation involving the design and construction of the Prudential Center. The matter resulted in a successful settlement of all claims shortly before jury trial was to commence.
- Represented the Philadelphia Eagles in arbitration involving multi-million-dollar claims involving design and construction issues at Lincoln Financial Field. The matter resulted in a successful settlement of all claims.
- Won jury trial representing a mechanical contractor in connection with a commercial building owner’s claim for costs and lost profits as a result of alleged delayed and unfinished work. The jury entered a complete verdict in our client’s favor. After trial, the judge awarded our client all of its attorneys’ fees. Won the appeal as the appellate court affirmed both the jury verdict and attorneys’ fees award. Subhash Saluja v. Midwesco Services, Inc., No. 1-11-3750, 2013 WL 209307 (1st Dist. January 17, 2013).
- Won arbitration representing a general contractor with claims against its mechanical subcontractor for defective work in Chicago, Illinois. The arbitrator awarded our client its claimed damages and prevailing party attorneys’ fees.
- Represented hospital in multi-million-dollar litigation in Cook County, Illinois against a prominent architectural firm and mechanical engineer involving design claims relating to the hospital’s HVAC system and curtain wall design. The matter resulted in a successful settlement of all claims.
- Advised electric power supplier in Missouri regarding design/construction matters during construction of its $500M hydroelectric power station.
- Represents manufacturer of pre-insulated piping systems in disputes across the United States.
- Represents Fortune 100 company in design and construction issues for its food processing and warehouse facilities across the United States.
Pro Bono Representation
- Served on the Leadership Council of the National Immigrant Justice Center.
- Represented several immigrants seeking asylum including hearings before the Chicago Immigration Court for a family from Indonesia who had fled due to religious persecution and an individual who fled Columbia to escape persecution from the FARC.
- Represented numerous juveniles in criminal cases at the Cook County Juvenile Court.
- Represented hurricane Katrina victims seeking temporary shelter and assistance.
- The Chicago Interfaith Family School, Volunteer Teacher
- Co-presenter, “Construction Disputes”, IICLE Mechanics Liens Web Series Part II (October 21, 2020)
- Co-presenter, “Illinois Mechanics Liens”, IICLE Mechanics Liens Web Series Part I (October 14, 2020)
- Presenter, “Getting Paid: How the Law Can Help You Get What You Deserve,” Illinois CPA Society Construction Industry Conference (October 30, 2018)
- Presenter, “Construction Law Update 2017,” Illinois CPA Society Construction Industry Virtual Conference (October 25, 2017)
- Moderator, Chicago Building Congress on the Value of Corporate Culture (May 5, 2015).
- Presenter, “Identifying and Avoiding Financially Distressed Contractors and Subcontractors,” AACE International (September 12, 2013)
- Co-presenter, “Pros and Cons of Cost-Plus vs. Fixed Price Contracts and the Impact of the Current Economy on Construction Projects,” Lorman Seminars (April 16, 2010, August 23, 2011, and September 19, 2012)
Bar and Court Admissions
- Illinois, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2004